So you live in a home filled with hardwood floors that are suppose to stand the test of time, but despite this your floors are lacking shine, have noticeable scratches, and are not as slick as they were at installment. Do not worry. This happens to all wood paneled flooring, but it can be maintained with simple steps to ensure its beauty. Following these steps and paying attention to your hardwood will guarantee that their beauty will be restored.
Today cleaning your floor has never been so easy. Home improvement stores have entire sections dedicated to cleaning wood floors. The process can be as simple as using a broom and dustpan to complex solutions such as specific restoring, waxing and buffering products. I myself have struggled with the quality of the floors in my home. After researching and going through a plethora of tips over the years, I have formulated my top ways to maintain the beauty of hardwood flooring.
- You should place rugs in rooms with close access to water like a kitchen to prevent water damage.
- Be careful of what shoes you wear indoors – cleats, spiked shoes and stilettos can cause damage over time.
- Dragging anything across your floor can cause scratches, so carry everything across wood floors.
- Furniture should have pads under it to protect the flooring.
- Pets should be kept off the hardwood as much as possible; scratching can add to the wear and tear of the floors.
- Simple weekly cleaning should include sweeping with a broom and dustpan.
- Be weary of using water to clean wood floors; excess water can ruin the finish.
- Never use soaps on a hardwood surface; the oils can be damaging.
- My personal favorite hardwood floor cleaner is Pledge FloorCare Wood Spray. It does a good job removing scruff and has a very pleasant scent- highly recommend.
- I suggest having your floors waxed or buffed once every five years.
When you don’t wanna bring out the big bucks to have your floors refinished, there are many products on the market that claim to restore the quality of your hardwood. These products claim to restore shine and bring a new finished look to the hardwood. I have tried plenty of these products, but my all time favorite is Rejuvenate All Floors Restorer. It is a shear miracle, because after applying Rejuvenate your floors look brand new. Scratches disappear and no streaks or lines are left behind by the product.
There are many ways to maintain the beauty of your hardwood. They can range from inexpensive cleaning products to expensive refinishing, but the steps taken as precautions are the most important in ensuring the long lasting quality of your floors. Proper hardwood cleaning is a way to make sure they last longer. And by restoring the look of your hardwood floors through products you are guaranteed to bring it back to their original beautiful state.
Just because you have pets that shed and make messes doesn’t mean you have to smell like you do. Finding a good vacuum for pet hair and smells is a tricky process. That was before the Hoover group created its T-series Wind Tunnel Pet vacuum.
Now, Hoover has made it possible to get your floors clean while not having the smells or sight’s that pets exist in your home. Thanks to this vacuum; you can remove pet hair along with the sites and smells.
- Weighing only 15 pounds – light and easy to use with thorough cleaning power.
- Clean-Drop Bags
- Intuitive Power Controls
- Fabulous Filtration
- Headlight – Headlight
- Five different positions for carpet and floor adjustments
- 30 ft. Flexible Power Cord
- No Scuff Clear Bumper -
- Easy Belt Change System & Brush roll Access
- 12 ft. Deluxe Stretch Hose
- This vacuum has various valuable features that make it the top notched upright that it is for pet owners.
- Its Wind Tunnel technology is what makes it possible to remove all the embedded dirt and pet hair all while minimizing debris blow-back onto your floor and scatter throughout your home.
- It has the title of being approved by the P.A.W.S. (Approved Wind Tunnel system). Not all vacuums are equipped to gain this title.
- The vacuum filter system is an activated HEPA Media carbon bagged filter. Filters such as these contain 99.9 percent of pollen, dust, and small debris.
- This filtering system makes it possible to absorb household odors down to 0.3 microns through its carbon filtering.
- With its one touch door release, access to the clean drop bag is fast and simple. With one touch, the bag releases a bag full of trash, hair and debris directly into the garbage. You will never have to handle the bag in order to change it out.
- The Off/On Brush roll has a single button that makes the transition to hard floors from carpet a one-step process.
- With the vacuum, you will receive a two-year warranty along with tools designed especially for cleaning thoroughly where your pets leave hair and messes. Tools such as a crevice tool, extension wand and a deluxe hose that stretches out to 12 feet.
The vacuum is designed with the pet owner in mind. Your pets home and inhabitants are the reasons the family of Hoover chose the technology they used in designing this model.
It has a 12-amp motor that delivers more power than you can imagine through its Wind Tunnel suction. Removing dirt and pet hair from your floors and carpets has never been easier.
Eliminates dirt and odors through the Activated Carbon, HEPA Media Bag filters that trap and absorbs pet and household odors.
Only comes with one, short extension wand. Reaching hard to reach areas such as baseboards and high places is impossible.
Suction relies heavily on the brush to do all the work. The brush roll does an excellent job; however, the machine doesn’t have the suction power to remove it fast enough in order to prevent clogging.
The hose looks small in diameter for great suction power. On hard floors, performance is poor. The lack of suction seems to be, once again, a huge problem.
The Hoover T-Series, one of the best Hoover upright vacuums ever made. The updated technology has made cleaning pet hair and debris a simple task.
With very few complaints, the Hoover company listened to their customers and enhanced their pet vacuum through this machine. If you are looking for an upright, bagged vacuum you cannot go wrong with this machine.
Miele vacuum cleaners have for a very long time topped the list of pet vacuums and this doesn’t make its new entry S2 Series’ Miele S2121 Olympus Canister Vacuum Cleaner an exception.
Going at around $350, this canister vacuum comes loaded with greatly reliable and efficient features that ensure every user achieves a spotless clean while at the same time keeping the air pure and free from dust and allergens including pet hair and dander.
This property makes it one of the best vacuum for pet hair and allergies.
- Dimensions- 9.4 by 22.7 by 15.2 Inches.
- Weight- 16 Pounds.
- Features a Classic FiberTeQ floor tool that allows cleaning of both carpets and hard floors.
- Power cord length- 29.5 Feet with automatic rewind.
- Air Clean Filter ( optional HEPA filtration)
- Six distinct power settings.
- Attachments- Telescopic stainless steel wand, dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice tool.
- The S2121 vacuum weighs 16 pounds, about half of the weight of other canister vacuums. This makes it more portable and it is easy to maneuver as it glides smoothly on all floor types as you clean without flipping over or getting stuck on furniture pieces.
- It features a large and ergonomically designed handle that makes the vacuuming experience easier, better and more enjoyable.
- It also comes with an Auto-Seal closing Filter bag that locks in dirt and allergens when removing the filter bag. There is also a Filter bag change indicator that shows when replacement of the hygienic bag needs to be done.
- This vacuum offers a super wide cleaning radius. Thanks to its 29.5 foot power cord that is easily released automatically and also the long telescopic wand.
- It hosts a powerful 1200 watt Miele-made Vortex motor that is parent to the great suction power offered by this vac. This works great on both tiny dirt particles like dust particles to large debris like pet hairs and pet food debris.
- This Miele vacuum cleaner is made with a sound insulation layer that ensures quiet operation. It is easier to have conversations when this cleaning appliance is running.
- It has 6 distinct power settings that can be easily adjusted by a rotary dial power selector. This makes it possible to adjust the suction power of the vacuum cleaner depending on the type of surface being cleaned or the amount of dirt to be cleared.
- Its compact design makes it stronger, durable and its storage easier. It may seem small but it’s a very powerful machine. Its storage is also made even easier by its onboard attachments like the dusting brush, the upholstery tool and the crevice tool that are held in place by a Vario Clip.
- Though it only comes with a basic Air Clean filter, you can purchase a compatible AH30 active HEPA filter separately thus sorting out all allergy issues.
- This vacuum is easy to operate as it has well labeled settings buttons and dials. It also offers great ease when it comes to assembly, attachment, removal and replacement of its parts and accessories. This is mainly because it comes with onboard attachments.
- It is easier to maintain, clean and repair. It also comes with a safety shut-off feature that prevents overheating.
- If held at odd angles especially on stairs, its blower tends to blow a bit of dust. This doesn’t mean that it cannot be used on stairs. The trick here is to learn the best cleaning positions.
- Some users find it hard to use this vacuum on high carpeting.
With all these great properties offered by this entry-level cleaning appliance, it is easy to see that it actually is a stunning state-of-the-art vacuum that totally corresponds to its price tag.
To learn more about Miele canister vacuums, check out this article:
The Electrolux Green Canister vacuum is your best bet in achieving a fantastically clean hardwood floor. Coming in a sizable and compatible form, the green canister is a comfortable piece to work with. It is ultimately designed for speed with cleaning power of 12 amps. What’s more, it not only cleans the bare floors but works on low mound carpets as well, leaving you with a satisfactory smile.
Reasons to Choose The EL4104A
Who doesn’t want to work with a vacuum cleaner that offers proficiency and wide coverage? Yes, that’s basically what the green canister is all about.
Installed with a powerful HEPA filtration system, it works under a high suction power which allows it to collect every dirt particle on the floor. It is good to know that not only does it work with such power but the suction power can actually be controlled by the control system on the handle.
This particular brand has a 10 inch cleaning path with a combined reach of up to 34 feet. This not only allows for fast cleaning but easy cleaning since you don’t have to keep disconnecting the power source every now and then as you shift zones.
Other Notable Features
The bagged canister not only offers amazing cleaning but also ensures proper conservation of the environment. How exactly, one may ask?
- Half of the black plastic used in manufacturing the vacuum is out of recycled materials. This may come as a surprise but indeed this is one piece that not only helps keep your environment clean but leads the way while at it. A high percentage of its packaging materials are also recycled.
- It’s installed with a 3-in-1 combination tool housed in the canister. The unique cord wrap and automatic cord rewind system not only offers compact storage but ensures convenience while at work.
- It comes with a powerful HEPA filtration system which is very washable after accomplishing its task.
Getting The Most Out of Your Machine
With its design, you will be at free will to choose what cleaning surface you want to deal with. For hardwood floors for example, the vacuum is able to offer optimum results by making use of the hard floor nozzle. This feature ensures you an easy time while dealing with the dirt stains on your hardwood floor.
The 3-in-1 combination tool incorporates a crevice function which will come in handy. Consider those tiny crevices on your hardwood floor for example, nothing will get them really sparkling than the Electrolux vacuum.
The 3-in-1 feature also houses a dusting brush that comes in handy when dusting shelves or frames. What’s more, it could offer a hand to those carvings on your wall, be they hard wood or soft wood.
Culminating on the 3-in-1 feature would be the upholstery tool that allows for a reduction in the suction power in the case of fabric cleaning like curtains.
With all these combined features, quality meets convenience and that’s very basic in ensuring that enviable comfy lifestyle. I’m totally convinced that this is one tool that will not disappoint you; if anything, you will be anxious to get your hands on it, every time cleaning the house comes into the picture.
What have others said about it?
Generally, it bears a few cons: considering most of its parts are made of recycled materials, it could get really flimsy if mishandled. Despite its ability to work on other surfaces aside from hardwood floors, most users complain of its cleaning when it comes to carpet cleaning.
It is worth pointing out that the cons with this particular Electrolux hardwood vacuum are too negligible to consider an alternative. With its good ranking at Amazon, it has for sure received a majority 5 star rating, from the reviews it has received thus far. Its working has proved quite helpful and satisfaction has proved to be its slogan. The Electrolux EL4101A is the ideal hardwood cleaning vacuum for you.
Some of the most powerful vacuum cleaners are considered high up on the list of desired appliances. Contrary to what you might think, the total amount of power actually has does not depend on conditions such as watts, horsepower or amps.
These items can assist you in learning more about vacuum cleaners electrical currents, but they will not indicate to you how powerful they are. Nevertheless, there are some things you can look into that can assist you in buying a powerful cleaning machine.
Tips to follow to ensure you get a cleaner with considerable power:
- Examine the cleaning swath – This is the area that will probably suck up all the dirt. Thus the larger it is, the more powerful the vacuum will be. Go for an upright model since they contain the largest swath.
- Find out exactly what you need – I would advise that you go for the machine that can deep clean your carpet. According to the user reports, an upright cleaner gives the best service of deep cleaning your carpet. It is then followed by the canister vacuums, which are excellent for hardwood floors.
- Consider the type of surface to be cleaned – In general an upright vacuum is said to be more powerful while cleaning carpets, while the canister is considered more efficient for cleaning bare floors, this is based on the user reports. In other words, if you want to clean a hardwood floor, you’ll need to find a vacuum designed for cleaning hardwood floors.
- Do a research about bag-less vs. bagged – You need to find out about the difference between the bag less ones and those using bags. While their power may be the same for a period of time, bag less ones lose power as the filter gets clogged or in case you forget to empty the bin in time. Thus the bag less ones requires more maintenance as compared to the ones using bags.
- Choose one with HEPA filters – These ones are considered more powerful when it comes to eliminating smaller particles, debris and dust from your floors.
Whenever a manufacturer claims that their vacuums have no loss of suction, it does not necessarily mean anything. They are usually referring to the sealed suction. These are measured with the air intake totally closed and no airflow.
With no airflow, no dirt will move to the vacuum bag from the head. Thus airflow is considered an important property whenever there is a claim of no suction. Whether it is going to suck the most dirt from your floor or not, it is really a combination of airflow plus sucking power. Several manufacturers now make no loss of suction claims, but most of them lose airflow too.
Do you think vacuums that are capable of lifting bowling balls offer the greatest suction strength? Do you think they do the best job in cleaning your carpet or floor? You will automatically be wrong if you believe this. They never provide the most powerful suctions.
Types of Vacuums
- Bag less
Hardwood floors provide your home with radiating beauty complementing your interior decor and providing exquisite quality flooring for your house. Having this distinct type of floor comes with necessities such as good maintenance and cleaning services. Consequently, your hardwood floor will be a reflection on the care you accord it.
Here are the 7 ways to make your wood floor look new:
- Ensure that your wood floor has finish applied on its surface to prevent wood decomposition. This can be done by applying oil, for instance tung or wax on the floor, an example is carnauba brand. Polyurethane may be used to seal pores on your wood floor and prevent retention of moisture by your floor (Jones, 2007).
- Make use of floor protective gear such as rugs. These will ensure that your wood floor is protected from surface abrasion attributed to furniture movements, children toys and adult walks. Alternatively, you may use runners only in areas of the wood floor that is subjected to regular human movement.
- Dust your wood floor regularly. This process can be taken to the next level by having the best vacuum for wood floors whilst washing in order to enhance removal of all water and fluid substances from the surface. This will ensure that the regular particles of dust and dirt do not form layers on top of your wood floor thus, maintaining its cleanliness.
- Stain removal on wood floor should be done through consulting services from professional cleaners. Similarly, you may decide to do it yourself by reading widely literary work about wood surface cleaning. This has the effect of ensuring you apply correct procedures and utilize recommended methods that will not harm your floor surfaces.
- During different climatic seasons such as winter, wood floors experience too much moisture on its surfaces. Additionally, your floor may undergo shrinking attributed to cold temperatures during this period. Utilize a humidifier which will have the effect of preventing the planks of wood that were used in making your wood floor from shrinking (Green, 2010). .
- Apply a new coat to the surface of your wood floor after long periods. This is because; re-coating your wood floor with finish on its surface will replenish the old coat that has been in place. Moreover, the new surface will tend to have a shiny appearance when you carry out regular waxing.
- Damaged floor parts of your floor should be done professionally by skilled experts. Further, the repair should be one that uses carefully selected materials understood in detail by your skilled craftsman (Army, 1977). This will ensure an imperceptible match of old floor and newly repaired area.
Importantly, your wood floor should be one that is made from high quality material such as oak, maple, birch and pine. Alternatively, treated wood may be used but should have a barrier between it and the ground to ensure moisture is not absorbed from the bottom. This will maintain the luster of your wooden floor enabling it to maintain its quality by avoiding rotting.
In conclusion, regular cleaning through dusting and dry cleaning ensures your wood floor is clean. Additionally, special care should be applied through professional maintenance of damaged areas of your floor. Thus, the wood floor in your home will always look new.
My experience from cleaning the hardwood floors of my house is that-if you do not pay special attention to avoiding the scratches then inevitably you will end up damaging your wooden floor. When I was searching for the perfect vacuum cleaner for my floors, I realized that the ordinary cleaners are not at all suited for the job because they are usually very heavy and the brushes have abrasive ends.
Regular cleaning and taking care of the timeless hardwood floor is a back-breaking job and so I suggest looking at some of the best lightweight vacuum cleaners for easier maneuverability. There are a large number of vacuum cleaners available in the market, so when you go to buy one, firstly, make sure that the vacuum cleaner is specifically designed for the hardwood floors.
Also you must determine beforehand the kind of cleaner that you need for your floors- do you want one that sprays water or a simple cleaner, do you need a vacuum cleaner with bag or without it, or you simply want an upright cleaner or canister one. If you make up your mind on these things already, then you have a clearer picture of what to buy.
My List of Best Vacuum Cleaners
In order to help you make a choice I have listed some vacuum cleaners suitable for hardwood floors. Two of these I use at home and the rest of the cleaners have been recommended by my friends who have hardwood floors and who use these cleaners.
- Hoover LINX stick vacuum cleaner.
- Bissell Bare Cleaner.
- Electrolux green canister ultra silencer vacuum cleaner.
- Sanitaire bag less HEPA cleaner.
Reasons For Recommendation
I use the Hoover LINX vacuum cleaner at home and I think it is the best vacuum cleaner. It is very conveniently cordless and it gets fully charged within 3 hours. Also there is energy star rating and the li-ion battery has a fade free power benefit so that ultimately I can also save my electricity costs as well. As this vacuum cleaner does not have any cord or a bag, the weight reduces dramatically (it only weighs 7 pounds). It’s a recommended vacuum for hardwood floors, but it can also clean other types of floor surfaces too.
I also use the BISSELL bare vacuum cleaner sometimes to clean the tight spaces and the corners of my house as the V shaped swiveling apparatus allows better navigation. This cleaner is also bag less and very easy to maneuver.
The Electrolux vacuum cleaner has a high efficiency motor that quickly sucks dirt and is very low noise cleaner. You can adjust the suction power for your hardwood floor and the carpet nozzle provided with this will ensure you have a great experience cleaning your wood floor.
The Sanitaire vacuum cleaner is again a multipurpose hardwood vacuum cleaner that has a powerful yet quiet motor and it has a very durable design. This vacuum cleaner is equipped with HEPA filtration system that sucks the allergens from the floor.
Which Model is Right For You?
I recommend that it is only clever if you keep your comfort in mind before you buy a vacuum cleaner for your hardwood floor.
- As I have already mentioned above that I use the Hoover cordless cleaner and I think it is great as being cordless, it reduces the nuisance of electrical wiring.
- Battery operated vacuum cleaners are the best – they can be recharged as per requirement thereby saving power.
- I recommend upright models as they do not put much strain to the back, thereby cleaning becomes comfortable.
Whether you choose to buy your vacuum cleaner locally or over the internet make sure you do a good research about the product-look for available discounts, good pricing and customer services provided by the brand.